Die Geschichte der Lage 

Leider gibt es noch keine Ubersetzung in die Deutsche Sprache dieser Text.  

In mediaeval times the spot of Hotel des Arts was just outside the city. At this place there was a Hospital: the St.Jorishof (St.George Hospital) where lepers were housed.  It is not certain when the St George Hospital was founded.  The oldest information dates from 1410.

After 1480, because of the urban expansion, lepers were moved to a hospital outside the walls of the city.  The St. Jorishof began to focus primarily on caring for the poor and "stupid" (mentally disabled). The chapel of St. Jorishof has been rebuilt in 1624 and leased to the governors of the St. Joseph Guild of Carpenters.


Our Hotel des Arts at Rokin 154/156 has been built in 1733 as two distinctive residences for the (still existing) Maagdenhuis: a Catholic orphanage for girls in Amsterdam. The two houses have been constructed and built by bricklayer Cornelis Knijff. The top of the facade has been designed and made by Hendrik Pantel who worked in Amsterdam from 1701-1747 and was buried in the Old Church.

From 1900 during almost 80 years it housed the antiqueshop, founded bij Abraham Salomon Staal and runned by his son Salomon until 1981. It turned into Hotel des Arts in the 80-th.

Hotel des Arts Amsterdam